Thursday, July 5, 2012

HP challenge Day 5

Day 5: Favorite male character and why.


I love Neville Longbottom.  I admire how well he was able to put up with having his parents cursed and having to live with his grandmother.  Neville was mostly a shy, clumsy, introverted boy who was constantly being told by his grandmother that he wasn't good enough or living up to his parent's accomplishments. However, in his later years, he showed that he had lots of courage and perseverance: he became an important member of Dumbledore's Army who fought in the Battle of the Department of Mysteries, the Battle of the Astronomy Tower, and the Battle of Hogwarts. During the Battle of Hogwarts, having refused Voldemort's invitation to join the Death Eaters, he destroyed the seventh and final Horcrux when he beheaded the snake Nagini. He also co-led the D.A. during his final year in opposition to the Death Eater professors. I love the change that his character goes through. 

The actor who portrays him does a fantastic job, and did I mention that he’s hot? Back when I was a punk 14 year old I got to meet him at the Jordan Commons.  I was too star struck to talk to him so I shyly smiled at him, got an autograph and a picture with him.  


Who’s your favorite male character?

1 comment:

  1. I really like Neville because of his courage, like for example in the first book when he stands up to Harry, Ron, and Hermione when they were heading for the trap door, forcing Hermione to cast a body binding spell at him. My favorite male character however is professor Lupin. It always seems like he's able to keep his cool in the worst of circumstances, like for example when Professor Snape finds him with Serious Black in the shrieking shack, at least, that is the impression I had. I guess there are some exceptions, like for example when he's in werewolf form, haha. I also really like Mad-eye and Snape. I wouldn't want to be like Mad-eye because he was a jerk most the time, but I do admire his ability to accept the truth, no matter how grievous and unfortunate it is, like for example when he distributes the Poly Juice potion to create the seven Harry Potters in the seventh book, it seems like he said something along the lines of if he and anyone was hit, just keep on going, and he said it without skipping a beat. Maybe it's because of his inability to sympathize with people, but I think it's because as an auror he already experiences so much tragedy that he can't afford to hold onto things that would just bring him down, so instead he simply accepts the truth and moves on, encouraging others to do the same.

    ReplyDelete